I think I have shared many times before that her house is small not super super small but pretty darn small at times for a family of five. Our house is just a hair over 1500 ft.². This IS plenty of room for us all to have our own space as long as we keep things organized and make sure that every spot is used to its fullest potential. Our kitchen is about the smallest room in the house though and for that I do long for more square footage. I love to have the kids around when I’m cooking dinner and I love for them to have their own spot to do homework, to hang out, to color, etc. we previously just did not have a space for this.
It it took a while of living in our home until I decided what I really wanted was an island that would go between the kitchen and the family room. The problem was that we needed it to be at a fairly large island. As well, I wanted it to have drawers, wanted it to be large enough to handle more than a couple bar stools and to be white. When I combined all of my wants I saw many islands that fit the bill but they were well over $1000. In other words well over our budget.
I started looking at some of the islands I was gravitating towards and I realize that a lot of them kind of resembled large dressers. Then I googled “dressers turned islands” and soon realized that there is a plethora of examples out there for inspiration.
My next step was cruising craigslist my favorite online department store! I found all kinds of dressers it took me about 3 to 4 days to find a dresser that I really thought would work. I showed the pictures of the dresser to Adam and he scratched his head as he has done so many times in the past. But fortunately he trusted me and I made contact with the owner of the dresser I had my eye on and he agreed to deliver it for only a $25 extra charge. Score! It was BIG! And…..ugly!
I took them off and got to priming the whole piece. I learned when painting my kitchen cabinets the second time (you heard right! I painted them twice, that’s a whole other story….) that it’s imperative you allow the primer to cure for 24 hours before the paint coat. I did that. I felt it especially important as the finish on this uber ugly piece was a high gloss especially desirable in like the seventies. I really wanted to be certain the paint adhered.
For paint I used:
I used this “Valspar” paint from Lowe’s for our kitchen cabinets. It’s a little tricky to work with, it tends to drip, but it is self-leveling and I love the finish. It can be custom mixed to any color. I chose a linen.
Painting this piece took about 4 days. After I painted it, I also lightly distressed it, to make it look a bit aged. Next up Adam decided to add some finish work to the back to make it look like a real live of furniture, should we ever use it where the back would show.
I found a piece of chopping block wood via Craiglist that was originally from Ikea for $80, yay! It was the perfect size! Adam build a base for it atop the dresser that would allow him to attach it, as well as raising the height to 32″ so it would be officially counter top height.
It was kinda a big project, but I kept my eye on the prize. Now it is my most favorite and used piece of furniture in the house. I would say all totaled it cost about $180 from start to finish to create. But it’s totally been worth it!
Thank you for reading along!